Thursday, November 3, 2011

Bravo, or, How I Got a Kindle

Hola blog reading peoples!

Friday and Monday at work were quite an adventure. They involved several hours on the phone with a frantic client and an incredibly short-tempered employee of the Massachusetts Dept of Revenue, waiting hours for a courier only to find that the loading dock downstairs was holding the documents hostage, making an expedition into the depths of Chelsea to exchange said documents for a Very Important Piece of Paper, and dashing into a very odd convenience store to fax said piece of paper and mail out the original via FedEx.

Not being one to miss the opportunity for a Grand Exciting Adventure, I enjoyed said interesting proceedings and liked the whole "not in the office" thing. I was thanked many times by the clients and my manager, and thought it a great thing. And then, surprise! I got home and checked my email to find that my manager had given me a "Bravo" award for going "above and beyond" the call of duty! These awards come with an amount of money attached that can be redeemed for a gift card to hundreds of places. How neat!

As my manager had been quite generous, I decided to get a shiny new Kindle, a cover for said Kindle, and a few books I'd been wanting. I've coveted the Kindle since they were first released. I also just helped my dad pick out one to give my mom for her birthday, and have seen how much she loves it. Thus, when I realized that I could now order a Kindle of my very own, I quite literally bounced around the kitchen like Tigger on caffeine pills. Wade attempted to contain me, mainly by placing me at my computer to order the thing and pick out the books I wanted.

After waiting what seemed like eons for it to arrive (aka, like a day and a half), it arrived last night around 7 pm. I loaded up my books and curled up in bed to read. I. Am. HOOKED. Reading with one hand and turning pages with a twitch of my finger is the best thing that ever happened to books. I've always been a bookworm, but now, oh my, this is lovely. I also discovered that I can put PDFs of knitting patterns on my Kindle, thus eliminating the whole "I lost my chart" problem.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to do some more reading!

Happy Thursday,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment